03 killed in clashes in Kashmir, Valley under curfew on Eid after 25 years

For the first time in many years, authorities in Kashmir today imposed curfew in all 10 districts of the on Eid even as helicopters and drones have been pressed into service for surveillance.
According to police, three protesters were killed in clashes between mobs and security forces in the Valley.
A 24-year-old youth identified as Shahid Ahmed was killed in Shotian district when a mob attacked security forces after Eid prayers. Jallaluddin, 45, died of a heart attack during a clash with police in Awantipora town of Pulwama district.
Earlier, another youth, Murtaza, 25 was killed in clashes in Bandipora district. Police said a tear smoke shell fired at the protesters abruptly dropped into the mosque where Jallaluddin died.
Authorities have imposed curfew in all the 10 districts of the Kashmir Valley in a bid to prevent violence.
No major Eid congregation was allowed anywhere.
The Army, which has been asked to be on standby, will step in if there is fresh outbreak of violence in the Valley, which has been witnessing widespread unrest for over two months.
Army troops have already been stationed at vantage points in rural areas which have a history of violent protests, police said, adding curfew came in force from
midnight. This is probably for the first time that curfew is in place on the day of Eid festival ever since militancy broke out in the state in 1990. Helicopters and drones are keeping a bird’s eye vigil from the skies. They will give early warning to security forces in case of assembly of people in certain areas, the sources said .
Security forces are out on the streets in adequate strength following apprehension of violence by the separatist elements, who often use women and children as “shields” during protest rallies resulting in civilian casualties.
This is for the first time in 26 years since the onset of militancy that no Eid congregations will be held at the Idgah and Hazratbal shrines here.
The government has already ordered shutdown of Internet services of all telecom networks and also mobile telephony except that of the state-run BSNL for the next 72 hours because of the tense law and order situation in the state.
The total toll in the ongoing unrest in the Valley — sparked off by the July 8 killing of Hizbul commander Burhan Wani — has now risen to 86.

Recommended For You

About the Author: editor