Budgam, December 2
At least nine dogs were killed after a high tension wire fell on them at Gotapora village of Central Kashmir’s Budgam district. The dogs, sustained serious burn injuries and died on the spot.
Eyewitnesses told that the incident occurred shortly after the culmination of Fajar Prayers. “As the people were coming out from the Mosque, HT wire suddenly broke and fell on the pack of dogs who sustained grave burn injuries as the dry grass also caught fire after the incident. “We tried to sprinkle water on the dogs but they all died on spot,” Manzoor Ahmed a local said. The locals demanded action against the staff of the electricity department for negligence. They said that due to overloading such incidents are common here. “We have been repeatedly requesting Power Development Department to change the wire in the area, but the officials don’t give a heed,” they said. When contacted, Assistant Executive Engineer PDD Division Narbal, Bopinder Singh said that the damaged wire will be replaced by 0.5 HT wire within a day or two.