Feb 25: Indian cricket team started their Asia Cup campaign with a magnificent 45-run win against Bangladesh in Match 1 played at the Shere Bangla National Stadium in Mirpur.
It was a clinical performance from the Men in Blue where they overshadowed the hosts in all departments of the game.
Here are five highlights from the match:
1) Bangladesh missed out on a huge opportunity when Shakib Al Hasan dropped Rohit Sharma for 21 off Taskin Ahmed’s bowling. Rohit hit one straight to Shakib at point but despite being one of the best fielders in the team, Shakib grassed it.
2) Rohit continued his good run in 2016 as he slammed his fourth half-century since the beginning of the year. The Hitman of Indian cricket had also scored back-to-back centuries against Australia in the four-match ODI series earlier this year.
3) Ashish Nehra once again proved why he deserves to be in the squad. The Delhi pacer picked three wickets for 23 runs and played a crucial role in India’s win.
4) Hardik Pandya was promoted ahead of MS Dhoni and Ravindra Jadeja and the all-rounder grabbed the opportunity with both hands with a 18-ball 31. Pandya also scalped the big wicket of Sabbir Rehman (44) who was the highest score for Bangladesh.
5) After being dismantled by his variation in a bi-lateral series last year, India finally managed to decode Mustafizur Rahman’s mystery. The left-arm pacer, who made a dream debut against India in an ODI series last year at home with 13 wickets, went wicketless in the opening encounter of the Asia Cup and conceded 40 runs.