Centre ready for CBI probe into Mathura violence if UP wants: Rajnath

The Centre is ready to order CBI probe into Mathura violence if the Uttar Pradesh government seeks it, Union home minister Rajnath Singh said even as he questioned how the state government was unaware of land grab by thousands of people.
“Thousands of people had grabbed land in Mathura and the state government was unaware,” he said on Thursday while addressing a rally in Mau as he referred to the action of a so-called organisation ‘Vidhik Vaicharik Kranti Satyagrah’ which had occupied hundreds of acres of government land for two years.
When police went to clear the occupied land last week following an order of the Allahabad high court, activists of the organisation indulged in large-scale violence, including firing, in which the Mathura SP and SHO were killed along with 27 others.
“If state government demands a CBI probe, we are ready for it,” Singh said at the rally organised to highlight the schemes of the two- year-old Narendra Modi government.
Later, when asked to comment on the state government’s claim about presence of Maoists in Mathura, Singh told reporters in Lucknow, “We have no such information…I have yet to go into the report sent by the state government.”
Singh also asked the UP government to show more alacrity in implementing the central government schemes, a comment that comes close on the heels of BJP president Amit Shah alleging that the state government was creating roadblocks in this endeavour.
To state government’s allegations of Centre not extending support to Uttar Pradesh, Singh said these were wrong.
“Whatever support is sought is extended to Uttar Pradesh,” he said.
Replying to the allegations levelled by SP leaders that his relatives had tried to disturb the atmosphere in Bisada village in Greater Noida where they were conspiring to hold a mahapanchayat, Singh said “they can call for an inquiry into it.
Whosoever had tried to do it should be put behind bars.”

Recommended For You

About the Author: editor

Facebook