Curfew extended to more areas in Kashmir, life remains crippled on 26th day

Curfew and restrictions on assembly of people have been extended to more areas following death of two youth in fresh security force in Kashmir valley, where life remained crippled since July 9, a day after Hizbul Mujahideen (HM) commander Burhan Wani and two other militants were killed in an encounter with troops in Anantnag district.

Following the death of a youth in security force firing at Lethpora, about 10 km from summer capital, on Srinagar-Jammu national highway last night, and another at Kara Nagar, it was decided to extend the curfew and restrictions to more areas to prevent any law and order problem.

With the killing of these two youth, the civilian death toll in the violence has reached to 53 and over 3500 others have also been injured. Two police personnel have also died and about 3000 security personnel were also injured in these clashes since July 9.

A youth, Farooq Ahmad Kuchay, was killed when a guard of the Additional Deputy Commissioner (ADC), Ramban opened fire at protestors, who had blocked Srinagar-Jammu national highway at Lethpora last night.

Meanwhile, body of one Reyaz Ahmad Shah, a guard of Automatic Teller Machine (ATM), was found on the roadside opposite a security force bunker at Karan Nagar crossing near Government Medical College (GMC) today.

Indefinite curfew imposed in the Shehar-e-Khas (SeK) and down town since July 9 has again been extended to Batmaloo and Maisuma locality of the city since early this morning as a precautionary measure.

Curfew has been imposed at Khanpora Bandipora, Bongam Shopian while restrictions under Section 144 CrPC continued elsewhere in the valley.

Meanwhile, night protests also continued at different parts of the valley, including Srinagar.

The main road leading to Maisuma, the stronghold of Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) in the civil lines was again closed this morning with barbed wire. However, nearby Haji Masjid road was open but additional security forces remained deployed to prevent any demonstration.

The historic Lal Chowk, the nerve centre of the summer capital, was also partially closed. However, the Budshah Chowk and Moulana Azad road were open though only few private vehicles and two wheerlers besides security force vehicles were seen plying.


Recommended For You

About the Author: editor