s peace returned after a week, curfew-like restrictions were today lifted from Handwara and Kupwara towns, on a day the authorities gave in to the demand of locals by removing four bunkers of security forces from the epicentre of the unrest that began last Tuesday.
Restrictions were eased in Handwara for four hours from 8 am, two hours after the authorities started demolishing the security force bunkers in the town, a police official said.
As the four hours passed off peacefully, the relaxation was then extended till 6 pm. The authorities then decided against re-imposing the restrictions, saying there was no law and order problem.
Curfew-like restrictions were imposed in Handwara town and some adjoining areas following violent protests over the alleged molestation of a girl last Tuesday.
In Kupwara and Trehgam towns, the restrictions were lifted at noon following a peaceful morning.
Earlier in the morning, the municipal authorities of Handwara demolished four security force bunkers from the main market, fulfilling one of the long-pending demands of the local residents, the official said.
He said the main bunker, located in the round-about of the main market, has also been demolished and taken over by the municipal authorities.
The municipal authorities also erected a board on the premises of the bunker, marking the place for conversion into a public park.
The locals had been demanding removal of the bunkers for quite sometime but the Army had put its foot down, saying it was strategically important for the troops.
However, the demand for removal of these bunkers intensified after last week’s violence triggered by alleged molestation of a girl.
Three persons including a woman were killed in firing by security forces on protestors on Tuesday while two more persons were killed in separate security forces’s action against protestors on Wednesday at Drugmulla and on Friday at Nathnusa.