Dozens of orphans leave Aleppo

Spread the love

New Delkhi, December 20
An estimated 3,000 people, including dozens of orphans, have left Aleppo in one of the besieged Syrian city’s biggest evacuations yet.
More than 4,500 civilians have left rebel-held parts of eastern Aleppo so far on Monday. Among them is seven-year-old Bana Alabed, who had tweeted about conditions in the city.
A linked evacuation of government-held parts of Idlib province being besieged by rebels started early on Monday.
While civilians are being moved to safety, the UN Security Council is to discuss sending monitors to oversee the mass evacuations. There are hopes that countries divided on Syria’s fate will come to a rare agreement on the crisis. “About 20 buses carrying people from Aleppo have arrived” at the staging ground west of the city, said Dr Ahmad Dbis, who heads a team of doctors and volunteers coordinating evacuations.
Another 25 vehicles arrived less than two hours later, he said, bringing the total evacuated this morning to around 3,000 people. Dbis said he saw families wrapped in several layers of coats getting off the buses and receiving packs of bottled water and food.
One thin young boy was biting into an apple while his family sat on the cold earth behind him. More than 30 buses packed with people had waited overnight in freezing temperatures to leave Aleppo under a complex evacuation deal. Just 350 people were able to leave after Russia and
Turkey urged the government to allow five buses to pass its final checkpoint, the Syrian Observatory for Human
Rights said.
The departure of the remaining buses had reportedly been delayed until hundreds of people could be evacuated from two northwestern villages under siege by the rebels.

Recommended For You

About the Author: Editorjknews

Facebook