Islamic State claims responsibility for Nice truck attack

Spread the love

Islamic State claimed responsibility on Saturday for the deadly attack in the Riviera city of Nice on Thursday that killed at least 84 people. “The person who carried out the operation in Nice, France, to run down people was one of the soldiers of Islamic State,” the news agency Amaq, which supports Islamic State, said via its Telegram account. “He carried out the operation in response to calls to target nationals of states that are part of the coalition
fighting Islamic State,” the statement said.
French authorities said they were checking the claim. The 31-year old Tunisian
driver of the truck drove at a Bastille day crowd on the waterfront of the French riveria city on Thursday night. Authorities had been working to find out whether his motives were indeed connected to radical Islam.
He was not known to French intelligence sources for radicalisation.
The truck zigzagged along the city’s seafront Promenade des Anglais as a fireworks display marking the French national day ended.
It careered into families and friends listening to an orchestra or strolling above the Mediterranean beach towards the century-old grand Hotel Negresco.

Recommended For You

About the Author: Editorjknews

Facebook