Goods worth lakhs gutted in Fire

Spread the love

Goods worth lakhs got gutted when a major fire broke out today in a hardware store here at congested Jewel Chowk.

Station House Officer (SHO) Nawabad, Raghuvir Singh said that fire broke out this afternoon inside Pawan Hardware Store in Jewel area due to short circuit and added that the fire gradually engulfed the entire shop and it spread fast due to the burning of oil paints and other fluids, chemicals.

SHO said that the goods worth lakhs got completely damaged in the fire and adding that three fire tenders were pressed into service and it took around 2 to 3 hours to douse the fire.

Meanwhile, eye witnesses said that delay on the part of fire brigade compounded the damages. “For several hours, there was no fire brigade on the spot, which was timely informed by the police on the spot,” he said and added the first vehicle to arrive on the spot was that of PHE that too was poorly equipped.

Eye witnesses further said that the locals also called the fire tenders, but complained that despite repeated calls to fire tenders, no one picked up the call, following which they had to call police.

The witnesses said that due to congested lanes, the job for the police and fire brigade was difficult, as the officials had to reach the spot of tragedy by foot, as no vehicle can enter those narrow lanes.

However, the eye witnesses said that while fighting to douse the fire, uniform of SHO also got damaged.

“The SHO was all in action to douse the fire, during which his uniform trouser got damaged, but without caring about the damage, SHO continued to execute his job,” said witnesses, adding the entire area was engulfed in smoke.

The police have registered a case in this regard and started investigation.

Recommended For You

About the Author: Editorjknews

Facebook