In a massive terror crackdown ahead of the Republic Day celebrations, the National Investigation Agency on Saturday arrested eight more suspects from 12 locations in six different cities, in connection with planning to carry out terrorist activities in various parts of India. On the basis of the information revealed in the interrogation of the five terror suspects that had been detained yesterday, the NIA made the fresh arrests.
1. Syed Mujahid, aged 33, resident of Tumkur, Karnataka
2. Mohammad Aleem, aged 20, residenct of Lucknow U.P.
3. Mohammed Obedullah Khan, aged 33, resident of Hyderabad
4. Abu Anas, aged 24, resident of Hyderabad
5. Asif Ali, aged 21, resident of Bengaluru
6. Muhammed Abdul Ahad, aged 46, resident of Bengaluru
7. Suhail Ahmed, aged 23, resident of Bengaluru
8. Mohammad Hussain Khan, aged 36, resident Mazgaon, Mumbai
The arrested accused will be produced before the respective local courts for obtaining transit remands. The NIA will continue with their extensive terror crackdown and will maintain the interrogations and investigations. Earlier, 14 terror suspects were taken into custody by the NIA in simultaneous raids conducted in six cities.
According to an NIA statement, acting on a tip-off that certain individuals from various cities were in the process of organising themselves to commit terrorist acts in different parts of the country, various central agencies and concerned State Police forces worked upon information and certain leads emerged out of the investigation.
These individuals were planning and making efforts to establish a channel of procurement of explosives, weapons, identify locations to organize training camps including training of fire arms, motivate new recruits to target police officers, foreigners in India and to carry out terrorist activities in various parts of India. All the arrested suspects were being brought to New Delhi for interrogation as preliminary enquiry showed that they were working on evolving a terror outfit with ideologies similar to ISIS.