Northeast students’ hostels soon in JNU, Bangalore Univ: Dr Jitendra

Spread the love

Newsponit Bureau

New Delhi, May 31

Union Minister of State (MoS) PMO, Dr Jitendra Singh disclosed here today that Northeast students’ hostels will soon become functional in Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi and Bangalore University.

Interacting with a group of Vice Chancellors from different universities, Dr Jitendra Singh said that considering the large number of students from the North Eastern States undertaking courses in different streams and departments in Bangalore University, it was decided to have a hostel there in order to meet the hassles of accommodation at high rent or inconvenience of paying guest arrangement  by the students from the region. As a result, he informed, a piece of land was acquired from the Bangalore University management within its campus and the foundation stone of the building was laid about two years back. The construction of the same is almost nearing completion and expected to become functional shortly, he added.

Similarly, Dr Jitendra Singh said, a piece of land had been acquired within the campus of the Jawaharlal Nehru University, but the work of on the project was got delayed because of certain Forest clearance issues. However, he said, the issue was resolved successfully after a series of meetings with the JNU authorities as well as the Delhi State Government authorities, following which the construction work was initiated. The building is also expected to be complete in the near future, he added.

The cost of construction of both these projects has been borne  by the NEC / Ministry of Northeast (DoNER). He said, the modalities of admission to these hostels will be worked out in due course of time.

Dr Jitendra Singh said, he had suggested to have 75% of inmates in these hostels from the eight North Eastern States and to have the rest of 25% from outside Northeast. This, he said, will offer an opportunity to the students from the Northeast to engage in a healthy social and cultural mingling with students from other parts of the country and at the same time, this might also help in generating some revenue in managing the hostel.

Meanwhile, Dr Jitendra Singh informed that a piece of land has been acquired at Rohini, Delhi where the construction of another hostel for students from Northeast will be undertaken, which will cater primarily to the students from Delhi University At the same time, he said, over a three acre land has been acquired at a prime location at Dwarka in Delhi where a Northeast Convention cum Cultural Centre is proposed to be brought up.

The Vice Chancellors, who met Dr Jitendra Singh, offered their inputs depending upon the experiences in their respective Universities. The good practices of different universities were sought to be supplemented mutually among the institutions of higher learning, they suggested.

 

Recommended For You

About the Author: Editorjknews

Facebook