Orlando shooting worst act of terror since 9/11: Fear returns to US shores

Spread the love

The Orlando nightclub shooting puts the US anti-terror strategy under new scrutiny again, since the gunman who took away 50 lives in a hate-fueled rampage had been previously cleared of jihadist ties. As the worst mass shooting in modern US history erupted on Sunday, Orlando police blasted their way into the Pulse nightspot and shot the attacker dead.
The murderous assault triggered grief but also defiance in the gay and lesbian community, and more than 100,000 marched in a planned Los Angeles Gay Pride parade.
In New York, the Tony Awards for musical theatre went ahead as planned but were dedicated to the victims of the massacre. “We know enough to say that this was an act of terror and an act of hate,” President Barack Obama said, as the FBI investigated the shooter.
Prominent US Muslim figures, Pope Francis and world leaders condemned the attack, which is being treated as the worst act of terror on US soil since September 11, 2001. The FBI admitted that 29-year-old Omar Mateen had previously been investigated — but cleared — for ties to a US suicide bomber.
Special agent Ronald Hopper also said Mateen was reported to have made a 911 call pledging allegiance to IS shortly before the massacre.
Meanwhile, the IS-linked news agency Amaq said without providing evidence that one of its fighters carried out the attack. But the group, which has previously been a conduit for Islamic State statements cited only “a source,” leading experts to doubt the claim. Terrified survivors described how the gunman raked club-goers with bullets, prompting a police SWAT team to storm the venue. Mateen was born to Afghan parents in New York in 1986 and lived in Port St Lucie, Florida, about a two hour drive from Orlando.
His father Mir Seddique told NBC News his son may have been motivated by homophobia, insisting: “This had nothing to do with religion.”

Recommended For You

About the Author: Editorjknews

Facebook