Around 50 students of a government school were today taken ill after having the midday meal in Kathua district following which a probe was ordered into the incident by the authorities.
“Around 50 students of Government Middle School, Ghatti complained of nausea and vomiting with pain in their stomach after having the midday meal being served in the school and they have been hospitalised,” Sarpanch of Ghatti village, J P Singh said.
The panicked parents rushed to the school as soon they came to be informed about the event.
The students were shifted to the Primary Health Centre (PHC) in the village from where they were shifted to the district hospital for specialised treatment.
The parents said that at about 11.30 am they received information that some of the students had vomiting with stomachache. When they reached school, they found that almost all the students were in pain. Following which they took their wards to nearby health centre and then to District Hospital.
“At 11 am about 84 students had their meal. After sometime few students complained of having stomach pain with vomiting sensation and this number gradually started increasing with more students coming up with same complaint,” said one of the teachers, who accompanied the students to District Hospital. The teacher added that the school management continued to shift suffering students to the hospital.
Deputy Superintendent Dr Gurdeep Singh said that the students had felt sick due to food poisoning. He further said that the condition of the students is under control and most of them have been discharged after proper recovery.
Sarpanch Dr J P Singh recalling the incidence as matter of lackadaisical attitude of school administration said that food poisoning may be due to polluted water or contaminated food. “What so ever may be the matter we demand administration to initiate an inquiry in the matter so that such things do not repeat in future”, he irked.
Meanwhile, keeping in view the gravity of the incident, the district administration has formed a committee headed by Chief Education Officer (CEO) of the district to inquire into the incident.
“As soon as I received the information, I formed a committee comprising tehsildar of the area, food inspector and the CEO. The team has been sent to the school to probe the incident,” Deputy Commissioner Kathua, Ramesh Kumar told Newspoint.