Pakistan summons Indian diplomat over ceasefire violations

A senior Indian diplomat on Friday was summoned to register Pakistan’s strong protest over the ceasefire violations by Indian forces along the Line of Control (LoC) in Hotspring and Jandrot Sectors, resulting in serious injuries to three innocent civilians, according to a statement issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Due to indiscriminate and unprovoked firing by Indian occupying forces, 15-year-old Irum Riaz, 26-year-old Nusrat Kausar and 16-year-old Mukheel – residents of Andrala Nar Village – sustained serious injuries, the statement said.

“The Indian occupation forces along the LoC and the Working Boundary (WB) have continuously been targeting civilian populated areas with artillery fire, heavy-calibre mortars and automatic weapons. In 2020, India has so far committed 2280 ceasefire violations, resulting in 18 martyrdoms and 183 serious injuries” it added.

Condemning the deplorable targeting of innocent civilians by the Indian forces, it was underscored that such senseless acts are in clear violation of the 2003 ceasefire understanding, and are also against all established humanitarian norms and professional military conduct.

“These egregious violations of international law reflect consistent Indian attempts to escalate the situation along the LoC and are a threat to regional peace and security,” the communique read.

Furthermore, the statement said that by raising tensions along the LoC and WB, India cannot divert attention from the grave human rights violation in the Indian Illegally Occupied Jammu & Kashmir (IIOJK).

India was called upon to respect the 2003 ceasefire understanding, investigate this incident of deliberate ceasefire violation and maintain peace along the LoC and WB.

The Indian side was also urged to allow the United Nations Military Observer Group in India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP) to play its mandated role as per the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) resolutions.