Provisions exist, Vijay Mallya can return to India, says MEA

Countering liquor baron Vijay Mallya’s claim that he is unable to return as his passport has been suspended by Indian authorities, the Ministry of External Affairs on Thursday said any citizen can approach the nearest Indian Embassy or High Commission and apply for an Emergency Certificate to return to the country.

Saying that the Emergency Certificate is meant to provide a travel document to an Indian citizen to return, MEA’s official spokesperson Vikas Swarup said this facility is available to Mallya, should he wish to apply for it.

“Our position is very clear. Any Indian citizen who is outside India and who does not have a valid travel document for any reason, only has to approach the nearest Indian Embassy or High Commission and apply for an Emergency Certificate,” Swarup said when asked about Mallya telling a Delhi court that he wants to come to India but is unable to as his passport has been suspended.

Mallya, who is currently in London, made the submission through his counsel before the Chief Metropolitan Magistrate in a case lodged for allegedly evading summons in connection with a FERA violation case.

On July 9, the court had cancelled the exemption from personal appearance granted to him and had directed him to appear before it. In his application moved through senior advocate Ramesh Gupta, Mallya had requested the court that some time be given so that his appearance can be secured.

The counsel submitted the copy of an email sent by Mallya, stating that his passport was suspended without giving him any opportunity of being heard.

Recommended For You

About the Author: editor