Tension flares up in Janipur, temple desecration leads to violence

Communal tension gripped in the Roop Nagar area of Janipur this evening after a youngman belonging to a particular community desecrated temple idols and other religiously significant items kept in the infamous Aap Shambu temple.

The incident took place at around 5 PM in the afternoon when there were few devotees in temple. They mostly included women and old age people. Video of incident captured by CCTV cameras installed in the temple has gone viral with people sharing it but not before writing provocative messages. The incident took place in the afternoon and it was purely because of sharing of the video on the social networking sites including Facebook and whats app which led to mob gathering out the police station.

After the incidents a large number of people lodged a strong protest by blocking main road in front of police station Janipur. A complaint in this regard was also lodged with the Janipur police station. Taking cognizance of complaint, police immediately arrested the two culprits and locked them up. Sensing that situation could turn violent, sources said that incharge of Janipur police station immediately informed the higher-ups seeking their directions.

Besides, police swung into action and within no time arrested the two accused who have been identified as Yasir Alfaz and his brother Tanveer both sons of Kher Din, a resident of village Shiva in Doda. But by the time, police arrested the duo, the video had gone viral and people had started gathering out Janipur police station. Number kept swelling and by evening, more than 2000 people had gathered outside the police station, raising slogans and seeking immediate action against the culprits.

Ineffectiveness of police in subsiding anger of people resulted in people shouting provocative slogans and pelting stones on the police station. Moreover, the video had been shared by huge number of people across the state on the whats app, Facebook and twitter. This led to further intensification of the protests and finally concluded with youngsters pelting stones on police and the police station. Such was the stone pelting that police had to run for cover.

In the stone pelting that ensued, several cops were injured. The violence intensified and led to people resorting to arson. Two school buses of police public school, three cars, two to three vehicles and three light motor vehicles were set ablaze by the angry protesters. Protestors also ran sacked the public property there. Considering the sensitivity of the situation; SSP Jammu Sunil Gupta, SP City Shahzad Salaria, SHO Bakshi Nagar, SHO Pacca Danga and SHOs of the other adjoining areas also rushed to spot and were making desperate attempts to bring the situation under control.

When the last reports came-in, situation was tense but under control. Police was making attempts to bring the situation under control by pacifying the protestors. The number of protesters was increasing with every passing minute till the last report came in and the situation was becoming more tense and leading towards curfew gradually. Teargas shelling was going on. Finding the situation slipping out of control, prohibitory orders were issued and people were told not to assemble.

But nothing seemed to be working in favour of police with people. Deputy Commissioner (DC) Jammu Simrandeep Singh and SSP Jammu Sunil Gupta were on the spot. In the late night development, rumours were that curfew had been imposed in Janipur and its adjoining areas.


Recommended For You

About the Author: editor