Up to 100 migrants died in two Mediterranean shipwrecks, says UN

Spread the love

Fifteen migrants are missing after their boat sank on Friday, the second shipwreck that day in the Mediterranean, bringing the number of lives lost to almost 100, the UN said on Sunday.

A boat carrying around 120 people had sunk early on Friday, four hours after leaving Libya for Italy, UN refugee agency (UNHCR) spokesperson, Carlotta Sami, told AFP, adding that “some 15 persons went missing”.

Among the missing were four Nigerians, two people from the Ivory Coast, three from Guinea, two from Sudan and one from Mali, she said.

Survivors were being disembarked in Pozzallo, Sicily, she said, adding that eight people had been taken straight to hospital “due to serious health conditions”, and that two bodies had also been disembarked.

The news came a day after the International Organization for Migration said that only 26 people were rescued from an inflatable boat carrying around 110 migrants when it sank off Libya in a separate shipwreck on Friday.

Sami said Sunday that 27 people, including four women, were rescued from that boat sinking.

Survivors had provided harrowing accounts of the tragedy, both UNHCR and IOM said.

“Due to the very bad conditions of the sea, some two hours after the departure the small boat started to take on water,” just a few miles off shore, Sami said in an email.

Recommended For You

About the Author: Editorjknews

Facebook