Kite string slits throat of 4-yr-old girl on bike with father

In a tragic incident, a four-year-old girl who was travelling on a bike with her father, sustained serious injuries after a kite string (banned Chinese manja) slit her throat in Hyderabad’s Nagole on Friday. The father also got injured when the bike lost control.

The father Vinay Kumar and his daughter Keerthi were heading towards Uppal from Vanasthalipuram. When they reached the flyover in LB Nagar in Nagole, the manja cord of a nylon kite dangling from an electric pole got entangled on the girl’s neck and caused a deep cut. Other commuters swung into action and both of them were rushed to a nearby hospital.

Meanwhile, the Hyderabad police banned flying kites on all roads and in and around places of worship during Sankranti. Hyderabad Police Commissioner CV Anand, the prohibition has been announced to maintain law and order and to prevent incidents of breach of peace and accidents.

He further advised parents to guide and supervise their children not to fly kites from the terraces without proper walls to avoid any accident or untoward incident. “The revellers shall not collect wood forcibly and they should use wood only with the consent of owners,” the police notification further said.

The city police had also ordered that no loudspeakers/DJs shall be placed or played in public spaces without the required permission from the police authorities concerned. The police authorities also directed the city residents to refrain from playing provocative controversial content or songs on loudspeakers and keep the noise levels from speakers or public address systems or any other activities should not exceed the permissible limits.