Bollywood actor Salman Khan has given a summons in the Jodhpur court for the blackbuck case a miss for which he was summoned by a Sessions Court judge a few months ago.
Instead of the actor himself, Salman Khan’s lawyer has filed two application in the court. The next date of hearing has been fixed for December 19.
This comes amid a death threat by a gangster belonging to the Bishnoi community who threatened to kill him and said so in a Facebook post on September 16.
Salman Khan had filed a plea against his conviction by a lower court, which had sentenced him to five years in jail in the infamous blackbuck poaching case of 1998 in which he was accused of killing two blackbucks during the shooting of ‘Hum Saath Saath Hai’.
During a hearing on July 4, Sessions Court Judge Chandra Kumar Songara had directed Salman Khan to appear before the court on September 27, failing which his bail plea may be cancelled.
There were apprehensions that the actor may not appear for the summons over inadequate security measures.
“Due to a similar threat by gangster Lawrence Bishnoi in February last year, Khan had shelved his plan of appearing before the the court,” a police official told PTI.
Prosecution counsel Mahipal Bishnoi said the court had verbally asked Salman Khan’s counsel to make him appear in the court during the last hearing.
The actor has not appeared before the court since May last year, when he was granted bail.
During the last hearing, the defence counsel had sought exemption for Khan from appearance in the court, after which the court asked the actor to be present before it as he had been absent since the beginning of the hearing on his plea.